Banhor Sungat Maas/ Fish cooked in a Bamboo Hollow (Assamese)
* 5-6 pieces of boneless fish
* 1/2 tbsp crushed garlic
* 2 slit green chillies
* 1 onion chopped
* 1 tsp crushed ginger
* Salt to taste
* 1 tender bamboo hollow
* 1 banana leaf
* 1 -1/2 tbps coriander leaves
* 1 tbsp mustard oil
1. Clean, wash and drain the fish.
2. Clean the banana leaf. Dry it and pass over low fire to make the leaf pliable.
3. In a small bowl mix crushed garlic, slit green chillies, mustard oil and salt.
4. Add the mixture to the fish and mix well.
5. Fill the bamboo hollow with the fish and seal with soften banana leaf.
6. Place the hollow over charcoal fire/barbecue fire.
7. Rotate the bamboo hollow from time to time till it is evenly burnt.
8. Leave it to cool. Slit the bamboo hollow into half to open.
9. Add chopped onions, crushed ginger,coriander leaves and mustard oil to the fish and mix well.
10. Serve as a side dish or even starter.